The Miraculous Car

I do not recall exactly the first time I saw this Japanese bundle of miraculous joy. It belonged to my Uncle then. It had this large grill at the front and for some weird reason, I thought it resembled him because he wore larger-than-life-framed spectacles.

 Back then, as long as a car was KA-something it was definitely new. I remember when my cousins rode in from Nakuru, they'd have a mattress at the back because there's no way your behind could survive that treacherous journey on those seats at the back. There's even a hilarious story about how one of my cousins fell onto the road after the Mazda pickup furiously went over some bumps on the road. Long story short, she wasn't hurt (I think- I'll ask her) because apparently she instinctively rolled to the side of the road like vin disel in a fast and furious movie.
I remember seeing it and preparing myself to devour biscuits and sweets because my uncle never pulled up empty-handed. And when he left he would dish out the good old fifty bobs which left households in disarray. It's like mothers didn't want to come to terms that their children had their own money and could spend it on whatever the fuck they wanted. (which was mostly sweets) They would offer to keep the money safely like they some kind of children's bank but because you're wise and have learned from past experiences which involve her embezzling your 50bob Waiguru style, you kindly decline. After which she'd go on about paying for everything since you were born and probably threaten to place sanctions, blah blah blah...
Fast forward a few years and ownership had changed to my grandmother's. Still in great condition. White and a dash of blue at the top. Except for this time, it was ferrying Women's guild people on Sundays and weird guys that wanted a free ride to town on weekdays.
Riding at the back was as uncomfortable as ever. And facing each other didn't help in avoiding small talk with strangers who were always hitchhiking. In somewhat an unlucky coincidence, I was admitted to this high school that had a truck for a bus. It's like I grew up not knowing the correlation between comfort and cars.
Being at the back felt like being in a cage. Somebody had to open it from outside because the door was heavy af and it had to be pulled then lifted. I don't really think that helped with safety because one time some drunk asshole rear-ended the Mazda and the inertia was so great that the door flew open and everyone/thing was tossed out. Anyway, a few bandages and panel beatings later, everyone - and the car, was okay. And in case you're wondering, Yes- there were safety belts. Go figure.

Through it all, the Mazda has aged so gracefully. Okay, the radiator leaks and it is basically 'push to start'. It has a hydraulic clutch now because the other one was tough work. Like if Hercules had a car, he'd have that clutch. The steering wheel is different too. I think it's supposed to be in a Datsun but it doesn't really matter now as long as it works. Though reduced to ferrying grass, it's still as graceful as ever- still rides like it's going to fall apart but with grace.

Comments

Popular Posts